Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Join OLA
Edith Gorman
Share |

Photo of Edith GormanEdith Gorman, a native of Missouri, followed a close friend, Frances DuVall, to the campus of Northwestern State College. Gorman and DuVall became acquainted with one another while pursing their professional library degrees at George Peabody College for Teachers in Nashville, Tennessee. Gorman was first employed in September of 1948 in the dual role of Reference and Documents Librarian. The library had been a member of the Federal Depository Library System since statehood in 1907, but Gorman was instrumental in the initial cataloging and organizing of the federal documents.

Gorman provided assistance to DuVall during the early years of the Sequoyah Children’s Book Award. She was one of the co-founders as well as Associate Professor of the Library Science program at Northwestern. Gorman was actively involved with the planning and design of the Alva campus library during the years of 1962-1964. For this task, she was recognized by the institution again in 1983 when the Library was officially named the J.W. Martin Library to honor a former president. On the day of the event, Martin himself credited both Gorman and DuVall “with helping to make the new structure a reality.”

Even though Gorman was employed at the college library, she appreciated and valued the mission of the Alva Public Library where she gave of her time as Chairman of the Alva Public Library Board for many years. Gorman died in November of 1998.

Return to the Oklahoma Library Legends

Site Search
Sign In


Forgot your password?

Haven't joined OLA yet?

Calendar

Oklahoma Library Association
P.O. Box 6550, Edmond, OK 73083 | Phone: (405) 525-5100 | Fax: (405) 525-5103 | Email: exec_director@oklibs.org

Follow us: OLA on Facebook