The Shawnee Public Library Association was established in October 1901 with a small paid membership. The library was dependent upon subscriptions, contributions, and benefits. During this time the books were housed in the office rooms of Mr. J.C. Parker with his wife, Mrs. J.C. Parker serving as librarian. Mrs. Parker was a member of the first board of directors established in 1901 for the Shawnee Public Library. She served as secretary. In the 1902 election of officers and directors, Mrs. Parker was elected to the post of treasurer.
The City of Shawnee took control of the library in 1904 and set out to secure funding from the Andrew Carnegie for a permanent home. The city donated the site in Woodland Park and $15,500 was received from Mr. Carnegie to establish the Carnegie Public Library of Shawnee. The building was dedicated in October 1905. Mrs. J.C. Parker served as the served as the second librarian of the Carnegie Public Library of Shawnee from 1907 to 1909.
Return to the Oklahoma Library Legends